Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Trouble Staring CIV

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Trouble Staring CIV
From: Kero van Gelder <kero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:50:02 +0200

> 2.) If there were a 'quick start' for laying out the steps for starting a
> single player game.  IE:

In general, a good idea...

> a.) Open a terminal window.  Type /usr/games/civserver
>    1.) Create badguy1
>    2.) Create badguy2
>
> b.) Start Civ client from the GNOME start menu.  Open connection.

...but not everybody runs gnome. Even if I'd run gnome, I would not
have freeciv showing up in it.

OK, so I am running from CVS, may be that means I can expect civ not
to be in a menu; that does not hold for people that download a more
recent tarball instead of using an old version of their favourite
distribution, especially when we told them to!

Type `civclient` in an xterm.

> c.)  Go back to the terminal window and type 'start' to begin the game.
>
> d.)  Go back to the client and play the game.
>
> Since I'm obviously a linux newbie, I have two questions which maybe
> somebody could help me with:
> 1.) I can use CNTL-ALT-F2 to get a text mode login from GNOME, but how do I
> get back to the desktop after doing that?

Ctrl-Alt-F7, probably.

> 2.)  WHenever a window or message box comes up, I have to place it.   This
> gets tiring really fast when playing freeciv.  Can I tell GNOME to just put
> the window up without making me choose a spot for it?

There should be an option in the gnome control center to tell the
window manager to place windows as it thinks best, instead of asking
the user. (If it's not in the control center, launch the config tool
for your window manager from the config center.)

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------------------ http://huizen.dds.nl/~kero ---+