Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: AI cheating

To: Andrew Pimlott <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: AI cheating
From: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:18:49 +0100 (CET)

Hello Andrew,

the situation you described does not look like a cheat to me.
For the warrior moved two squares, one at the END of the current
turn and one at the BEGINNING of the next turn. This is often
used by human players as well, they set a goto command during
the last 5 seconds of a turn to make a fast move.

However, the AI _does_ cheat in a lot of ways. It's triremes
can move over the water, it can look into your cities and
see how well they are defended and its units dont cost support
(I bribed away cities which supported sometimes 15 phalanxes
etc.). It has no fog of war and it knows the whole map (still
it explores and knows about the difference between known and
"black" tiles ... but it doesnt care ;). However, if the AI
wouldnt cheat, it would have no chance at all. It is realy,
realy hard to teach it not only tactical but strategical
intellingence. However, the freeciv AI is still better then
those from CIV I/II -> they had to cheat even bigger to
competete with a human player.

ChaosE

--

Karl-Ingo Friese