Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2000:
[Freeciv] New way to do turns and unit moves

To: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] New way to do turns and unit moves
From: "Nathan Gundlach" <dagchess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:22:45 -0400

Hi all,

I played Civ a while back, and now am an avid player of FreeCiv. Ever since the original Civ, I have wished for a new movement rule: Each unit would have to "recharge" its movement points before it could move. When it would get one full move, it would be activated. For example, you move a unit from one square to another. There would be a randomized speed for that unit (based on stats, as well as unit type). The order would immediately be executed. Depending on the terrain types and the unit speed, there would then be a number assigned to it before it could move again. (I'm thinking in the hundreds.) Then, all the units would have one added (or deducted, depending on the way you want to do it) from its movement points. Every, say, 50 "moves," (this would be user-configurable), without any unit moving (when cities could be selected the collection or array would stop adding or subtracting from the units' movement points so that the cities could be given orders and sleeping and fortified units awakened. Whether or not the "turns" would stop when a new city improvement or wonder is built would be user-configurable also.

In addition, I would like to see a new fight system implemented, in which each unit can "fire" once each turn, not until either the defender or the attacker is destroyed. This is much more realistic and stops a single unit from wreaking havoc among weaker units. In this case, the defense strength would only be a way of evading enemy fire, not of firing back.

I would also like to be able to custom design my own units in the game. Instead of being forced to build horsemen, for instance, I would like to be able to build a (man, horse, (club, sword, pike, spear, lance, depending on what has been researched), armor of varying types). Also, the weapons and armor would be built seperately from the units and could be transported to other cities. By changing their weapons and armor, units could also upgrade.

This would be a somewhat seperate project from FreeCiv. My thinking is that FreeCiv already has a huge codebase, so why not use mostly its code?

I also have other refinements, if anyone is interested.

-- Nathan