Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Fascism and Blitzkrieg-wonder

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Fascism and Blitzkrieg-wonder
From: Mathias Uhlmann <Mathias.Uhlmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 15:08:12 +0200

Hi!

Sorry if I take up a closed discussion, but it was already "over" when I
loaded down the mails. And as You will see, this one is really about
FreeCiv.

So I read the "discussion" about the fascism-patch, but I did not
understand what this patch means. Will there just be an additional
nation "Nazi-Germany"? I hope not. Fascism was a european problem, not
just a german one. IMHO fascism could be included as a form of
government. Maybe for those who like to see those symbols, the flags
could change. At least for the european nations it should be possible to
find the fascist symbols that were/are used in them. But I don't see the
sense of doing it. As you may know Germany had different flags during
it's history and in FreeCiv the flags don't change when you change from
Monarchy to Republic. But back to the fascism as a form of government.
So my suggestion is the following. There would be a distinction between
cities you founded and cities you conquered.

conquered cities:
  - production is halved
  - no growth, no grain storage
  - every field produces one food less
  - all defensive city improvements are only working with at least 2
military units in the city
  - every military unit requires one shield upkeep
  - city produces no trade

own cities:
  - production is multiplied with a factor of 1.5
  - up to 3 military untis require no upkeep
  - trade is calculated as in monarchy

So the rest of the rules applies to all.
  - martial law, up to 3 military units make up to 6 citizens content
  - civil disorder will automatically lead to a reduction of the
population till the order is restored
  - settlers consume 1 food
  - the luxury rate is at least 30%, luxury rate of 30% has no impact on
happiness
  - effect of Cathedrals is reduced (only 1 citizen made content)

So what do you think of it?

And now something about the Blitzkrieg-wonder. I don't really understand
the sense of it. Ok, military units should improve with time. (Just
think of the armors in WWI and the armors of today.) Maybe there could
be some technology be connected to the Blitzkrieg tactics and have some
effect. But as had been already pointed out, there were various effects
to the fact that Poland and France were conquered so fast and that the
Sovjet Union was so weak in the begining. So Blitzkrieg-technology
should only give an additional attack  strength of 1 for armors and
alpine troops and maybe 2 for artillery.

 Ciao.
Mathias.

PS: And then something for Tomasz. Imagine some bare earth. And You have
an pedantic gardener and some ecologist. So the first wants to produce a
perfect grass, cutted and all,  the second wants to build a natural
meadow. Let them do their work. And You will see the outcome looks
roughly the same. (It's green.)  Can You judge from it that there aims
had been similar?