Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch

To: Patrick Schmid <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:58:44 +0200

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 01:47:54PM +0200, Patrick Schmid wrote:

> > There is something to be said for the swastika flag, though.  It is a
> > powerful image, because of its history.  When I was play-testing the
> > "Fascism patch" with Juan Cortes, I decided to play as the Nazis.  Seeing
> > a sea of those bright red banners spanning the continent I controlled made
> > me feel like a malevolent dictator hell-bent on world domination.  The
> > flag looming menacingly behind each Nazi city seemed particularly evil.
> > I can imagine how Juan must have felt as he saw that damned symbol slowly
> > but surely spread over each continent like a plague.  You just can't get
> > that kind of effect from some boring everyday national flag.  This is one
> > of the things that makes games FUN to PLAY.  It was one aspect (certainly
> > not the only one, of course) that made Wolfenstein 3D fun to  play, too.

> Thank you. That's the reason why I'm against it. If you think it's fun being
> a NAZI, well, why don't you watch then some videos out of Spielberg's
> archive? Or Schindler's List?

So who would you choose ?

Aztecs, Zulu and Boers are naturally flawed.
Germans and Bavarian too, in your own words.
So are Russians and Chineese.
And remember Americans (Hiroshima), Arabs and Irish (terrorism),
And don't even mention Romans, Mongols, Vikings, Hungarians nor Japaneese.

Sorry, but half of nations are more or less flawed,
half of leaders were bloody dictators,
and half of history was time of war.

I personally prefer to play some real-world nation. Look at pool archives.
Most people would either choose nation randomly, or choose one with most
interesting history. And would you deny than WWII is interesting ?
If not, you see, why many many people will play it.
Nazi might even become most popular nation. :-)

--- .signature
  Here is .signature that make this letter illegal in Germany.
  To make sure it won't be found by Herr Polizeioffizer,
  it was encrypted 1048576 times by rot13.

  perl -e 'print "X XXX\nX X  \nXXXXX\n  X X\nXXX X\n"'
--- end of .sig