Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement

To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:16:36 -0500

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 07:57:31PM -0400, Mike Jing wrote:
> You claim to be a game developer, but you sound more like a lawyer than
> anything else.  Maybe you have chosen the wrong profession.

        Brandon's been posting insightful information to rec.games.* for
several years.   Whether or not he's got published work to his name, he
has invested significant thought into why people play games, what the
purpose of gaming is, and how technology of gaming affects things.

        Be civil, if nothing else.  Some of the people contributing to this
discussion have crossed into personal attacks.

> FYI, I bought CivII Gold _after_ I played Freeciv -- I was never really
> interested in the genre, but Freeciv got me hooked and I wanted to see the
> original.  I guess in my case, Hasbro actually benifited from the existence
> of Freeciv, and I am sure I am not alone.

        So far, I've purchased Civ1, Civ2, Civ:CTP, SMAC, and SMAC's Alien
Crossfire expansion.
        I never bought CivNet, Civ2:Multiplayer Gold Edition, or Civ:TOT.
        I intend to consider both Civ3 and CTP2, when Firaxis and
Activision get around to releasing them.

> And please be rest assured that we will *diverge*.  You can bet your sweet
> ass that we will *improve* the Civ genre.  Freeciv already plays much better
> than CivII, and we are certaining not just sitting around cloning.

        Diverge, I agree with.  Improve, I do not necessarily.  But then,
I'm already known as the curmudgeon of the group. :)
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."