Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:57:31 EDT

You claim to be a game developer, but you sound more like a lawyer than anything else. Maybe you have chosen the wrong profession.

FYI, I bought CivII Gold _after_ I played Freeciv -- I was never really interested in the genre, but Freeciv got me hooked and I wanted to see the original. I guess in my case, Hasbro actually benifited from the existence of Freeciv, and I am sure I am not alone.

And please be rest assured that we will *diverge*. You can bet your sweet ass that we will *improve* the Civ genre. Freeciv already plays much better than CivII, and we are certaining not just sitting around cloning.

Finally, thanks for reminding us of the corporate bullies and lawyers who have to keep justifying their existense by suing whoever they can get their hands on. We will take steps to protect Freeciv from them and ensure its bright future.

Sincerely yours,

Mike Jing