Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Controlling date progression?

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Controlling date progression?
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 06:31:55 -0500

Ed Cogburn wrote:

>         Has anyone ever wished they could slow the game down?  How many of
> you haved played a FreeCiv/Civ II game where the technology moved so
> fast you went directly from a pikeman to a rifleman, skipping
> musketeers altogether?  We can control researchspeed, but what is not
> controllable is the speed at which the date advances, i.e., 50 years
> every turn then 20, and finally down to 1 year per turn.  If you alter
> researchspeed the date quickly becomes illogical.  Does being able to
> control the date advancement via some server option make sense to any
> one?
>
> P.S.    What about starting the game at an earlier time than 4000BC?
> There's evidence that agriculture and animal domestication started
> earlier than this.  US News has an article about it in the current
> issue.

This is something I need for my Ancients modpack, and other types of modpack
will need it even worse.  I mentioned it on the freeciv-data mailing list about
a month ago, and Jeff Mallatt said he was working on a "quite general"
implementation of it in his spare time.  Hopefully we will have it in another
release or two.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas