Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: How do I "upgrade" Freeciv

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How do I "upgrade" Freeciv
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 05:59:35 -0500

Kristian Hougaard wrote:

> Hello freeciv'ers
>
> I have freeciv 1.10.0 installed on my Redhat system, and I would like to
> now how to install 1.11. I
> can't seem to find any description of an uninstall-procedure, or any other
> thing that would solve the problem. I'm using Redhat, and I did not make
> any changes to the destination directorys when I installed 1.10.

Are you using RPMs to maintain your system?  If so, do the following.  (Read
this whole message first!)

 o Fetch the Red Hat RPM from the Freeciv download page.

 o Log in as root.

 o rpm -ev freeciv

 o rpm -ihv freeciv-1.11.0-1.i386.rpm

The first "rpm" command removes your existing kit, and the second installs
the new one.

In principle you could skip the "-ev" and do an upgrade rather than a new
install, but sometimes that causes problems if the two packages were made by
different people, if they did not put all the files in the same places.  (For
instance, I just did the above, because my v. 1.10 kit was made by someone at
Red Hat, while the 1.11 kit was made by someone at Freeciv.)

By the way, don't worry about any messages that say a directory could not be
removed because it is not empty.  That happens pretty often with RPM
maintenance, and is not usually a problem.

*HOWEVER*, if you get the message "error: package freeciv is not installed",
then you must have the oddball v. 1.10 kit that put the client and server in
separate RPMs, so instead of the above you must do:

 o rpm -ev freeciv-client

 o rpm -ev freeciv-server

 o rpm -ihv freeciv-1.11.0-1.i386.rpm

If you are *not* using RPMs, ignore the above and tell us what you *are*
using.

> NB. I have a small list of bugs/annoyances and suggestions and questions.
> Is this mailinglist the place for such things.

I'm not an official spokesman, but yes, I think so.

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas