Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: egregious cheating by AI

To: Andrew Pimlott <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: egregious cheating by AI
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:52:13 +0200

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> Hi, I'm a relatively new player, I just subscribed to the list, and
> I've never played the real Civilization.  Let me tell you first that
> I'm super impressed by freeciv.  However, one aspect causes me
> particular frustration.
>
> I understand that the AI must cheat in some ways to make up for its
> basic stupidity.  However, I would prefer it not cheat in ways that
> are flagrantly obvious to players.  It makes it difficult to
> construct tactics, and it doesn't help one improve against human
> players.  Here are a few instances:
>
> - AI units head straight for undefended and poorly defended cities.
>   It's disheartening to see them thread in between defended cities
>   to get to the one empty one.  (However, this can sometime be used
>   to decoy AI units!)

This does not have to be cheat. note that once you have explored an area
once you can allways see it. The AI can just use that.
(The next version of freeciv will have fog of war, ie you wont see all
unit movement just because the explored an area once. The AI will act as
if there were no fog, however. We must get some more AI programming done)

> - AI units sometimes get extra moves.  I didn't believe it the first
>   time I saw it, so maybe there's someting I don't understand.  But
>   I'm sure I've seen AI chariots move three spaces over normal land,
>   killing the unit I thought was out of range.

What it does is actually to save a few moves to use them the next turn.
We must fix this sometime. Again the guy who made most of the AI doesn't
program any more, he forgot to comment his code (&!#¤&¤)

> - AI units sometimes violate zones of control.  Similar to the
>   above--I didn't believe it at first, but after several incidents,
>   I'm sure.

That sounds like a bug. If you have a savegame where they do this
consistently send it to this list and we will fix it in the next version.

> It would be nice if the AI could get by without these advantages.
>
> I'm playing 1.10.0 .
>
> Andrew

-Thue