Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: X servers and your FAQ

To: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: X servers and your FAQ
From: David Chan <dpc29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:51:05 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> VNC (I use it at work) replicates a desktop evironment (Windows or X) in
> a window on another machine (like PCAnywhere and other products do).

Indeed this is what the vnc *viewer* does.

> It will not replace an X server (although you could use an X client
> running on a Unix machine from a Windows machine with VNC).

The unix vnc server *is* an X server.  I.e. an X client (such as
civclient-gtk) can open an X11 connection to the vnc server, and treats it
just like any other server.

> For that matter it's a capability that X already has.

Yes, but the reason for using vnc here is that there are no (good) free X
servers for Windows.  With vnc you don't need one to play freeciv.  All
you need is the following:

On the unix machine: freeciv and vncserver installed.
On the windows machine: vncviewer installed.

Note that you do *not* need another X server, such as XF86_SVGA, on the
unix machine; nor do you need an X server, such as Exceed, on the windows
machine.

Hope this helps,

David
--
ne'V'er allowing cookie from domain '.amazon.com'.