Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: X servers and your FAQ

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: X servers and your FAQ
From: Radovan Garabik <garabik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:59:21 +0100

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 11:28:49AM +0000, David Chan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for a great game!
>
> In your FAQ you suggest using freeciv under Windows using an X server.
> Instead of recommending non-free X servers, you can suggest a thing called
> "vnc".  It's very reliable, has the advantage of being GPL'd and can also
> work on macs and on any platform with a java web browser.  It's no harder
> to use than a Windows X server.

It won't work. You need an X-server, because you are running windows binary
executable, on windows, and the executable tries to draw to an X-server.
So unless you manage to compile VNC server for X-window under windows 95
(using cygwin - maybe you meant this... then everything is all right :-)),
vnc will not help you