Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Questions Irrigation

To: "Michael C. Richardson" <mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Questions Irrigation
From: Steven Burnap <sburnaplinux@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 03:28:15 +0000

"Michael C. Richardson" wrote:

>   Or, if you irigated C before you built the city?

Yes.  Basically, Civ2 only checks if you can irrigate when you first try.  The
irrigation can never "dry up" even if the original linking square goes away for
whatever reason.  (pillaging, pollution, etc.).  Not particularly realistic.

>   Is there any advantage to building a road before founding a city?

Not that I've ever found.  I'm pretty sure that cities are always "maximally
improved" to whatever technology you have instantly.  (Though the irrigation
doesn't count for irrigating other squares.)

You also get a free shield if there isn't one in Civ 2 (not Civ 1) so if you
are playing that, it is always good to build on grassland without a shield
rather than grassland with one.  You then get a free shield.

Steve