Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] to Robert Hunter - problems connecting serv/client

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] to Robert Hunter - problems connecting serv/client
From: "Otto Beinschob" <beinschob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 21:47:01 CET

First of all your e-mail adress is unable to deliver the mail
(I failed/hotmail failed)
My problem is solved!
An entry in my boot script ( /sbin/init.d/boot ) has been
deactivated in comment it out; it was like this:

#
# initialize loopback device
#
#echo -n Setting up loopback device...
#ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 up
#route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev lo

I reactivated it by deleting these #es, rebooted and it worked!
So loopback is needed!
I didn't knew it, maybe any other people, too; also because
there isn't much documentation about this topic itself (there is a
lot of docs for the programs, but who knows which programs is for
what and what it is doing exactly).
So maybe it's a good thing to put this in a FAQ.

beinschob@xxxxxxxxxxx