Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 1999:
[Freeciv] Handicapping

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Handicapping
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Nov 1999 15:53:56 +0100

Would it be reasonable to have handicapping in freeciv?

I've tried to vary the number of initial units (the "good" player
disbands some of them in the first turn), but it has a limited
effectiveness.

Let's say we introduce, for each player, a "science factor" and a
"money factor", both defaulting to 100%.  The total science and money
produced by each empire each turn are multiplied by the factor before
being applied.

Maybe we could also intruduce a bonus/penalty on production, happiness
etc.

This could easily make easy AIs (and dumb but hard AIs), as well as
balance the game between human players.

--
        Massimo Campostrini,
Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Sezione di Pisa.