Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] restarting a saved game

To: ecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: michael@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] restarting a saved game
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:42:16 +1000 (EST)

"Eric E. Coe" <ecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, if you were going to actually make changes, then what I would want
> would be to use the original (system) user id (automatically supplied as
> it is) for the connect window, and when the connection succeeds, a second
> window is popped up that contains a chooser of all the active ruler's names
> (including AI's and each with descriptive info) with the matching name from
> the previous play session for that user id selected by default.

I was thinking of something like this when I was looking at
allowing multiple users per player (that is, per civilization/
nation/empire).  I would be good for users to connect without
immediately being assocated with a player, and could then chat,
or maybe observe (if permitted by game options, since could be
considered cheating), or get cmdlevel permissions and make server
commands, etc.  As part of this, for an existing game you
could/would get a list of existing players to join as.

(And have some system of allowing/disallowing users to
join a civilization as an observer of that civ, or upgrade
observers to full interactive (joint) control.)

But this requires quite a bit of work, and various other things
stopped me from pursuing it.

-- David