Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] freeciv beats Civ 2!

To: Jan Tisje <tisje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx, ANDREW SCHULMAN <SCHULMAN.ANDREW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] freeciv beats Civ 2!
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 00:03:16 +1000

Jan Tisje wrote:
> NO!
> They all have advantages and disadvantages...
>
> >Hello all.  Last year I used to play freeciv a lot and contribute to this
> >list.
> >Now (to my sorrow) I've moved from unix to PC.  Instead of trying to play
> >freeciv for Win through an X server (very slow), I decided to try the Real
> >Game.
> So I bought Civ 2 for $20.  I'd never played it before, but I figured it would
> >be the gold standard which freeciv was trying to meet.  But guess what:
> >freeciv
> >is better!  Here are some of the ways:
>
> Like all commercial games, there are some bugs left in the final release.
> I did never find bug fixes for civ2 in web.

I did. IIRC they are fairly easy to find on the microprose web site
(www.microprose.com). The Civ2 patches where pretty good. As well as bug
fixes they also added the odd feature such as city radius if you have the
grid on.

> >- the "goto" command in Civ 2 is so poor as to be useless.

I never use goto in Civ2.

> >- the view in Civ 2 is tilted 45 degrees with respect to the grid.
>
> You have to play a little bit, then you' ll learn it. I think it is better.
> Ok, I sometimes losed the road, too. ;-)

Yeah, you have to get used to it. I find the grid is very useful when
placing cities, but generally I have it off these days - looks nicer and I
no longer need it to move in a straight line. It did trip me up a few times
when I first started though. For FreeCiv I'd like to see both views.

> - [...] long rows of symbols convey less information than a simple number.
>
> When you want to SELL a game, it has to LOOK very good (better than freeciv)
> ;-)

Nothing wrong with both approaches together. I find I don't really need to
know exact numbers often when playing.

Regards,
Steve Hodge