Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] freeciv beats Civ 2!

To: "ANDREW SCHULMAN" <SCHULMAN.ANDREW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] freeciv beats Civ 2!
From: "Jan Tisje" <tisje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:34:22 +0200

NO!
They all have advantages and disadvantages...

>Hello all.  Last year I used to play freeciv a lot and contribute to this
list.
>Now (to my sorrow) I've moved from unix to PC.  Instead of trying to play
>freeciv for Win through an X server (very slow), I decided to try the Real
Game.
> So I bought Civ 2 for $20.  I'd never played it before, but I figured it
would
>be the gold standard which freeciv was trying to meet.  But guess what:
freeciv
>is better!  Here are some of the ways:

Like all commercial games, there are some bugs left in the final release.
I did never find bug fixes for civ2 in web.

>- the "goto" command in Civ 2 is so poor as to be useless.

There was a time, when the goto command in freeciv was even more useless (<
v 1.7.x). I do not know if it works better now.
Look at CTP for the BEST goto command ;-)

>- the view in Civ 2 is tilted 45 degrees with respect to the grid.

You have to play a little bit, then you' ll learn it. I think it is better.
Ok, I sometimes losed the road, too. ;-)

- [...] long rows of symbols convey less information than a simple number.

When you want to SELL a game, it has to LOOK very good (better than freeciv)
;-)

Have you ever seen the German translation of Civ 2 or CTP?
German Civ 2 is completly trash. CTP is much better, but there are still
some ugly texts, you cannot understand.

>you've done a great job!
Yeah, they have.
I think so, too!

I realized that I did not have much thing for Civ2 and against Freeciv. I
did not want to say Freeciv is shit, I only wanted to defend Civ2 ;-) that
it is not this bad at all.
I get angry about some featueres of CTP, too, while playing.

So I play today this and tomorrow the other ...

Today let's CTP ;-)

c ya
    Jan