Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] Display

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Display
From: Robert Donn <squirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:02:55 +1200

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 08:09:37PM +0200, Jan Tisje wrote:
> Hi Todd!
>
> To see if it works I played xtris ;-)
> I executed it with a command like this:
>
> xtris -display my_ip:0.0
>
> But if Windows is not online, it does not have an IP (0.0.0.0).
> What should I use as IP-adress?
>
> Even if I had an adress, how could I pass it to Freeciv?

If you leave off the IP altogether (:0.0), it should work - but if it
doesn't, you can use "localhost" (a special IP that always means your
computer over loopback rather than over network) - either use
DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 or DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 - whichever you prefer.

To pass it to freeciv (as with any other X application) you should set the
DISPLAY environment to whatever display you are connecting to.  Under
DOS/Windows, this is achieved by the following:
        SET DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
        freeciv
for instance.

Some applications (for example, xtris :) also have arguments like
'-display', but not all.  DISPLAY is recognised by 'all' X programs.

Hope this helps!
--
Robert Donn
"So, come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab."