Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] auto-attach and airplanes

To: Thorbjörn Axelsson <md8axel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] auto-attach and airplanes
From: Nicolas BRUNEL <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 17:32:32 +0100 (CET)

> > During a civI game, i loose an armor which was protected by a bomber.
> > Because, the bomber was shot down by a fighter.
> > Is this nonsense can happen during a freeciv game ?
> > It's nonsense because in a figth between a fighter and an armor
> > the odd is against the figther.
>
> It is not!
> If we look on the reality, it's much more likely that the fighter has
> weapons for taking out armor than armor have for taking out airborne
> targets...
> actually a bomber would'nt probably take out any target in air either...

I wasn't concerned about reality.
The nonsense was it was easier to attach a mech inf protected by a bomber
than an alone mechinf.
Example: put a mech inf on a mountain it is almost impossible to destroy
it with one attach whatever the unit.
Add a bomber so that no ground unit can attach your mech inf, now
fighter has a good chance of destroying the two units.

So my first question was :
when an air units is destroyed are ground or naval units destroyed also
in freeciv ?

Second question :
Are some other peoples interested by allowing figthers to fly for 2
turns in a row so that fighters can protect bombers.
This ability will be available after the discovery of advanced fligth.

Third question:
Is there any help concerning air to air figth ?

In unit_type there is no field air_to_air_attach or air_to_air_defense !
Do i have to understand that bombers almost always kill fighters
when they attach first ?
I see no special case in handle_unit_attack_request concerning aircrafts.

Bye,