Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] Just to start the game : happy end !!!

To: nicofran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Just to start the game : happy end !!!
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 01:45:42 +0100

> First impressions : not very nice, but quite complete. May I ask some 'old'
> users their feelings after hours of game ?

I was once addicted to Civ I for a month or two.  I dislike Civ II (it
has far too much fluff to my taste); I've only played it once.  The
Freeciv interface is spartan, very Civ I-like, which is something I
really appreciate.  It took me a while to memorise all the tiles and
units  - surely better, more intuitive sets could be designed -  but
after a few games it's no longer a problem.  There are a few annoying
quirks in the interface, in the actual interaction; this is a real
problem, but many of them have been smoothened out in recent months,
and I'm sure this will continue.  (One remaining problem: some of the
popup dialogs interfere with what you're doing (for instance, typing to
the chat line) and actually block it until you dismiss them; this is
very frustrating when they pop up at the wrong moment).

But I have no problem with Xaw programs in principle.  Freeciv is my
favourite Civ by far.

> Can I start a game and then switch back to AI ? Will I see the AI actions ?

Yes, issue 'ai <yourname>' in the server.

You an even break in into running games by connecting as an AI player.
There should probably be an option to disable this.

  echo subscribe freeciv-dev | mail majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Reinier