Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv] strerror

To: mstamat@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] strerror
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:34:54 +1100

Stamatogiannakis Manolis <mstamat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello there!

Hello!

> I tried to compile freeciv 1.7.1, but while linking to get the client and
> the server, ld couldn't find a function called strerror. I tried to check
> from where is its definition included, but I couldn't figure out. Finally
> to get the game compiled I edited the code and used empty strings where
> strerror was called.
> Can you tell me where is strerror loccated?
> I work on SunOS 4.1.4 (sun4m).

We've had a similar report from someone else on a similar system.
I'm not sure if your system is missing strerror, or if freeciv just
can't find it for some reason.  (It should be in the standard C library,
according to ANSI C, with a prototype in <string.h>, though even if the
prototype is there that doesn't necessarily mean the real function exists.)

Current CVS freeciv (which will become the next released version)
includes a work-around similar to what you describe, for such systems
where strerror is not found.  Basically freeciv should work just fine
without strerror, except that if you happen to have some rare socket
error then you will get a slightly less informative error message.

Regards,
-- David