Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv] Some remarks

To: Jari.Sulkimo@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Some remarks
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:54:40 +1100

Jari Sulkimo <Jari.Sulkimo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Firstly thanks for the game, AI is getting good. I was still a bit
> disappointed a month ago, but now with the CVS version from last week it
> is challenging. I've played games against 14 hard AI players and have
> found it very enjoyable and fairly difficult to beat.

I'm a bit surprised, as I didn't think the hard AI had significantly
changed during that time...  Maybe you were just lucky/unlucky at how
good a start/development the AI's got.

> Anyway, I have found a "feature" in the unit movement handling. I looked
> into the code a bit, but haven't got time to deeply understand what goes
> on in the zone of control bit. I've had the following problem:

We really need some documentation regarding Zone of Control (ZOC)...

> I have a situation, where I'm trying to land troops from a transport:
> C's are cities, L's for land, W water and T's the transport.
>
> WCLL
> WLLL
> WTLL
> WWCL
>
> I'm not allowed to land troops "up" or "up right" which I think should
> be possible? Similar situations appear also elsewhere when 2 cities are
> close by, but should not be blocking movements.
> Yup, the units have movements left...

If those are enemy cities, then moving a land unit from the T square
to any of the three adjacent L squares would be moving from a square
adjacent to an enemy city/unit, to another such square, which is not
allowed by Zone of Control rules.  (With exceptions.)

(Ignoring for now some unresolved issues about whether empty cities
should count, and whether ZOC should apply when getting off boats.)

Regards,
-- David