Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 1998:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] RELAY

To: Programmer <programmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] RELAY
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 23:25:38 +1100

Dear Donald,

> Hey, Guys.  I downloaded Freeciv 1.7.1 and compiled it on my Linux
> machine without any problems.  Great work.  My whole family and some of
> the neighborhood kids on my block are hooked.

That is part of our evil plan.  We tell people that Freeciv is a game
of world domination.  Little do they know...

> I visited you web page and found a link that gives "enhanced FreeCiv 1.0
> graphics" on your links web page which in my opinion look like they
> would greatly enhance the game.  Unfortunately except for the intro.xpm
> and radar.xpm, they are completely incompatible and cause a segmentation
> fault on my Civ-1.7.1 client.
>
> How can I get the best of both of these worlds?  Civ-1.7.1 gameplay with
> the enhanced graphics from freeciv-1.0k-enh.tar.gz?

This is answered in the Freeciv FAQ, available from our website:

  http://www.freeciv.org

Those graphics were stolen from the Microprose Civilization game,
and were certainly not released by the Freeciv team.  We
can't endorse the use (=theft) of these graphics with Freeciv.  I
suppose I should take this link off the links page.

If you want better graphics, you or someone else will have to
draw them.  Mind you, a number of people have submitted graphics
which are a modest improvement.  I've just got to get around to
getting them incorporated into the official Freeciv.

Regards,

Mitch.