Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: January 2003:
[FreeCiv-Java] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] OOP developement

To: Bryon Lape <brainmuffin@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] OOP developement
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:31:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 08:08:21PM -0800, Bryon Lape wrote:
> > I am attempting to make a .Net port of FreeCiv using
> > C#.I was wondering if those who have done OO ports
> > such as Java make more or less a direct translation of
> > the C code or do theymap out the functionality and
> > use a more OO approach?I had first thought of making
> > UML diagrams for the functionality as well.Does this
> > already exist somewhere?
> Also note that if you start with a client you have less C code to
> copy.

I would strongly encourage you to think very carefully about
maintainability of your code. The Freeciv code base is a rapidly moving
target, and the network interface changes about once every two months.

So using the common/ code in Freeciv unchanged or changed through a script
(maybe C# can import C code somehow) will help you a lot in keeping your
port up to date.

The Java port had a lot of problems keeping up to date, IIRC.

  - Per