Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: November 2001:
[FreeCiv-Java] Events

To: "jFreeCiv" <freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Events
From: "Alexander Braun" <BraunsAlexander@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:33:54 +0100

Dear all,

I just started looking at the code in earnest, and after about close to three
hours of looking (read: staring) at it I start to see a pattern emerging :-)
_But_ as far as I see it there's no dedicated class handling the action
events?! Or I didn't see it yet :-) Actually I'd like to stick to the facts: I
was thinking of implementing the chat line, because that seemed like an easy
start. And for _that_ (i.e. the client.panel.Console) I didn't see an action
handler sign up. And then the question arises: _where_ do we handle events?

Normally I would have said in the main GUI class (ie. client.MainWindow) but as
the client.Client class manages the lot on second thought it should be going
there. And, then again, inner classes wouldn't be to bad either, especially
with the many components floating around, some of them (like the MapOverview)
quite complex.

If this seems like a trivial question then sorry for that. At least for the
Console it seems straightforward to simply use inner classes. But I guess
there's a lot more going on which I don't see yet, and I can well imagine lot's
of events hopping around without proper handling.

Again, if this is trivia, I'd be glad if someone pointed out the obvious to me.
If not it seems we should have a short discussion to agree on the matter of
what gets handled where.

Thanks,

Alex