Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: November 2001:
[FreeCiv-Java] Re: Events

To: "Alexander Braun" <BraunsAlexander@xxxxxx>, "jFreeCiv" <freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: Events
From: "Brian Duff" <Brian.Duff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 01:12:30 -0000

Hi Alex,

You're absolutely right, there is a distinct lack of eventing in some areas
of the code. At the moment, the handlers tend to call methods to update
things after they've been updated. I would really like to sort this out,
because it's bad programming practice and means that many methods on the
Client have visibility that really shouldn't. It was written this way,
because that's pretty much how the C client works. But it's less than ideal.

Hopefully, we can eventually add event code to the "data" classes in
org.freeciv.common for notification when objects get changed, or when items
get added or removed from lists (e.g. a city's name changes, a new unit is
added to the supported list of a city). This will go a great way towards
making the code neater and more object oriented.

At the moment, there are a large number of Action implementations in the
org.freeciv.client.action package. These make up the core of the
user-invokable events: anything that can be done through the UI. These
classes all implement ActionListener (Action is derived from it), so can be
easily plugged in to buttons and other controls. For each class of action, a
single instance is maintained by the Client: you can obtain the instance for
any given action using

clientInstance.getAction( Class actionClass )

where actionClass is the class for the action you want to retrieve.

For the console window, the best thing might be to define an action along
the lines of ACTSendConsoleMessage, then add it as an actionlistener to the
Console. There might be some issues with the order in which listeners get
added; I seem to remember that Console already adds a listener internally,
to clear the field after the user presses Enter. We'd want this to happen
after the console message action was fired. For this reason, probably the
best way to implement it is to add

addActionListener()
removeActionListener()

methods to Console, then have the client or main window actually register
the ACTSendConsoleMessage action with the Console. Then Console can use its
own internal action listener to ensure its field clearing happens after
firing the action event out to listeners added to Console.

Anyway, let me know if this helps, or if I've gone off on the wrong track
entirely..

Thanks,

Brian