Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2292) Patch: Artillery attack against sea units

To: raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2292) Patch: Artillery attack against sea units
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <cazfi74@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:31:04 -0700

Guest wrote:

> It seems that we have to tweak the handle_unit_move_request() function
> in the server/unithand.c file in new Freeciv versions.
>
> There is one thing I have not understood. The handle_unit_move_request
> () function checks whether an attacking unit is a bombarder. If so, it
> also checks that the attacked tile is not ocean. If we remove this
> check, then we let all the bombarders attack sea units. However,
> according to the units.ruleset file, the Bombarder flag is not
> attached to any unit. Is it goining to be used someday? If so, is it a
> good idea to combine bombarder functionality with the sea attack
> functionality or should we introduce a new flag for these purposes?

  Some work for this has been done in #18481. Function
can_attack_non_native() already exist, but needs to be called in more
places before it can be modified to this end. Also flag F_NO_LAND_ATTACK
should be renamed to be more generic and possibly reversed, such as
F_ATTACK_NON_NATIVE. Actually I'd like it to be unit_class flag rather
than unit_type flag.

  - ML