Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#20157) Viking -> Norse

To: markstedt@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#20157) Viking -> Norse
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:48:07 -0700

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
>> I am against this change. Viking is much more well known, and lots of
>> people have no idea what 'norse' is. I couldn't even find it on
>> www.dictionary.com
>>
>> Compare for example the wikipedia pages on the two, or see their
>> respective number of google hits ;)

> As Jason said in another ticket, Freeciv should educate rather than sticking
> to old misconceptions! I bet that "Eskimo" is still a more common word, but
> we call our nation "Inuit" because it is right.

We "norse" people do not go around asking other people to call us "norse"
rather than "viking". In the Scandinavian languages I do not think there
even is an equivalent for "norse", except of course for "norsk" which
means "Norwegian". In our own historical literature the word "viking" is
commonly used.

So it is a bad analogy.

   - Per