Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#20100) svn "trunk" version's data/graphics dir bro

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#20100) svn "trunk" version's data/graphics dir broken?
From: "(Eddie Anderson)" <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:38:02 -0700

Jason Dorje Short wrote:

>Christian Prochaska wrote:

>> I could imagine that it hangs while loading the "buildings.blend" file
>> which is quite large (35,5MB) compared to the other files.

    Thanks.  That would explain the problem.

>The graphics directory needs to be in SVN.  But it doesn't have to be in
>the default module.  Maybe we should separate trunk/freeciv from
>trunk/graphics (and potentially other modules).

   Yes, please.  Are there any other similarly large files in
trunk?

   During my many attempts to get a working copy, the svn client
reported that the "connection closed unexpectedly" several times.
Presumably the svn *server* was sending that same 35.5MB file each
time.  So, does the svn server have any file xfer timeouts that
might need to be adjusted (e.g. to accomodate sending a large file
to a dialup user)?

mini-rant:
   IMO only part of the problem is in Freeciv's repository.  The
other part is the fact that I couldn't tell what was wrong.  IMO
that was caused by a lack of relevant features in the svn 1.1
client.

   E.g. it would have been helpful if the client had reported the
name of the file that it was currently downloading.  Also helpful
would have been a percent progress indicator (numerical, text - i.e.
nothing fancy) for files over, say, 500KB.

   Perhaps these features have already been added to newer svn
clients.  I realize that there are newer versions of svn available.
But, for the moment I'm stuck with svn 1.1 because that is the
newest one available for Ubuntu 5.04 (AFAIK).
</mini-rant>

 -Eddie