Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#19038) Repeating initial string swaps = bad

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#19038) Repeating initial string swaps = bad
From: "sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx" <sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:17:18 -0700

Hi,

Once upon a time there was a few hundred strings that started with
"Game:". They were faithfully translated. At some point, "Game:" was
removed from these strings, and replaced with a single "Game: %s" to
structure the sentence. This was good, but made hundreds of strings
fuzzy and in need of such replacement.

Now, it seems the old mistake is being repeated by a bunch of strings
that have gone fuzzy by the addition of "City:", "Civ:", "Diplomat
Action:" and such in front of the translated string. Please do with
these as was done with Game: - replace them with a single "City: %s" and
then just leave the endings for translation. I will keep away from the
strings for now, since there's no point doing double work on something
that I'd prefer a script did instead of me. If there is a need to
separate the remaining string from some other identical one (like when
"Enemy Diplomat: Failed" turns into "Failed"), use a context indicator
for those cases: "enemy_diplomat?Failed".

--Sini