Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#19040) Rulesets with identical strings for multiple me

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#19040) Rulesets with identical strings for multiple meanings
From: "sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx" <sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:17:28 -0700

Hi,

Some rulesets have identical strings for two incompatible tasks, like
Hacker is both the 'adjective' and the male ruler name. These must be
separated with a context indicator, since they are not translated the
same way.

The rulesets affected that I could spot on a quick glance:
* hacker
* european

* Some rulesets (e.g. european, aymara) seem to define the ruler's name
to be the same for male and female. But without a context separator, it
is also impossible to translate them separately in languages where
there's always some difference between men and women. Not that Finnish
is one.

Also, several rulesets have overlapping ruler titles, which can cause
problems when e.g. "Chieftain" might not quite be translateable as
'tribal chieftain' for all nations, but just translating it as a neutral
'leader' for all would be boring. But this is a lesser problem.

* confederate, european and soviet define a "Transitional" string, which
needs a translator comment on what it means.

--Sini