Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#18260) Configuration files in LUA

To: Jerome.Plut@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#18260) Configuration files in LUA
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 01:55:02 -0700

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Jerome Plut wrote:
> here is a patch that changes the configuration file so that they use
> LUA instead of the traditional ruleset syntax.

This is very good. I like it a lot.

I miss more documentation, both in doc/README.rulesets and in the source
code. Some of the lua macros need to be documented clearly how they are to
be used and probably recommend not to be changed by ruleset authors.

I see that the lua data is read the same way that ruleset data is read
now, which means that it will still not be possible to change ruleset
configuration the fly, for example from a scenario script.lua file. This
can be implemented later, as long as the implementation is flexible enough
to allow it, and it is not right now. I am not sure which is the best way
to do it.

The patch contains some noise with one or more changed po files in it,
which makes it much bigger than it needs to be. I would also recommend
putting the new nation files in a separate patch, so that we do not have
to read through a 1.3mb diff to find code changes.

I have some thoughts on how to turn savegames into lua, but we can discuss
that separately and later. I am not sure what the special issues are with
specfiles.

   - Per