Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Removing citizens working tiles

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Removing citizens working tiles
From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 08:58:00 -0400

On Friday 09 June 2006 04:49 am, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> Before we do this, I would still like to see a new set of goals for the
> Freeciv project.  The current set of goals (which nobody seems to be
> able to location, but which are referenced widely) includes "Civ2
> compatibility" among them.  But this proposed change will break that
> compatibility.  So let's add a goals section near the top of doc/README
> that is slightly less restrictive.

Before you (we?) do something like that, can I suggest that we do some
forking.  I'd hate to ever see the (Free)Civ I or (Free)Civ2 games disappear.
I still give my young nieces and nephews Civ 1  or Civ 2 and they enjoy the
games a lot.

I'd like to see some things forked off like, here's the closest Freeciv to
Civ1, here's the closest to Civ2, (although maybe the current version of
FreeCiv is a pretty good standin for either Civ 1 or Civ 2) ... (for Civ 3
and Civ4, if anything in FreeCiv is close) and those maintained on the
Freeciv download site (and developed / maintained as people have the
interest).

Then develop a new and different game as proposed here.

Randy Kramer

Not explicitly stated above, but then:

   * there should be a CVS (sorry, I lurk on this list and don't pay close
attention--are you using CVS?) tree for each of those.

   * development should be "reasonably" controlled, i.e., don't replace an old
version of, e.g., the Civ1/Civ2 game until it has been rather thoroughly
tested/proven.  (E.g., Gone through alpha and beta releases, and been tested
by someone known/trusted by the group.)

Hmm, I should go look at the web site--maybe you're already doing this.  (I
simply get my FreeCiv with my distro (or as packaged by/for my distro
(currently Mandriva2006).)