Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#15877) Editor: place units with unittype

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#15877) Editor: place units with unittype
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:12:32 -0800

Mike and I discussed this on IRC, with basically the following result:

* The editor.h interface is indeed problematic, and should be
simplified.  Probably just explosing the packet structure directly is
the easiest way.

* The tools dialog city tab should be used for creating cities but not
for editing them.  For editing cities the citydlg should be used.

* The city tab should show a few important fields to allow basic control
but should not be too complex.  Basically we agreed on three fields:
size, improvements, and template.  The size field allows you to choose
the size of the city to be created.  The improvements field allows you
to choose a global worklist that will list the buildings to be placed in
the city (any units or invalid entries in the worklist are simply
ignored).  The template field allows you to choose an existing city that
will be used as the template for the new city; if set this overrides the
other two fields.  I assume the "owner" field, omnipresent in the tools
dialog, is always taken to be the owner.

* The tools dialog unit tab should be used for creating units.  Since
there aren't too many fields for units it can probably control all the
fields.  We couldn't decide if the unit tab should also be used for
editing units: doing so is inconsistent since the city tab does not
allow editing, but would be easy since it has all the fields anyway.

* A new tab, the select tab, will eventually be created.  When this tab
is active you just select units and cities like normal.  However your
selection should be copied into the template for the unit/city tabs.
Possibly this allows selecting a unit to edit, if unit editing is done
through the tools dialog.

* Mike wants the delete tab to just delete stuff.  When it's active, if
you click anywhere you delete all units and cities on that tile.  To
have more fine-grained deletion you need to select a unit and disband it
or select a city and delete it from within the citydlg.

* We didn't discuss player editing.  I still don't know how this is
supposed to work.  I guess I think the intel dialog should be extended
into a full player-info dialog, and while in edit mode it should be
editable.

Hopefully I didn't forget or subvert anything here.

-jason