Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv-2.0.7a.dmg

To: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "James P. Wiant" <jamesprw@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv-2.0.7a.dmg
From: Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:18:09 +0900

On 2006-01-14, at 07.35, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

James P. Wiant wrote:
I downloaded freeciv-2.0.7a.dmg and didn't get what I expected. It seems the actual game isn't there - but in this case I'm pretty sure I just don't understand. It said something about needing X11 or something like that. I'm a programmer and therefore pretty ok with computers, but I'm a Windows dude and the Mac the wife and I just bought is still something of a mystery *L* Do I need to compile it somehow? Do I need to download something else? Or am I just missing the obvious (wouldn't be the first time). I'd appreciate any help you could give me. I really like open source and hope the concept keeps growing.

Well, Freeciv Mac support is still in its infancy, so there are some snags. The .dmg should work for you, however you have to install X11 which I believe comes with Darwin or Fink (packages you can download from Apple).

It is also possible to compile it yourself, however you'll probably have to install some Fink packages anyway to do so.

All this is just according to memory. I myself have never used freeciv on mac.

-jason

If you're running Panther (10.3.x) download the X11 package from Apple's dev pages (note that the latest binary Freeciv packages you can use under Panther is 2.0.3.) If you're running Tiger (10.4.x) install X11 from the OS discs.

-Daniel