Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14623) Observer madness

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14623) Observer madness
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:01:32 -0800

> [dmarks - Thu Nov 17 06:42:49 2005]:

> Oh, and for the record: Watching from the beginning to around the year
> 1500 AD, the client crashed over ten times and the server twice...

Client crashes are likely a side effect of the ghost units.

Server crashes are, as Chris said, probably caused by cutting the
connection.  There is no synchronization between observer clients and
the server so the observer can potentially lag further and further
behind - even ending up many turns behind - before the server cuts it.
The bug here is that this shouldn't be done if you have hack access.

Anyway, I committed the patch that should fix the major cause.  There
may be other bugs too; report them in a separate ticket.

-jason