Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) RFC: pubserver-in-a-diff

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) RFC: pubserver-in-a-diff
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:20:35 -0800

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Reinier Post wrote:
> http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Pubserver_software

Thanks a lot for this. That really helps. Although I still think pubserver
should be rewritten, we can perhaps reuse more of the old.

> ?? Under cmdlevel ctrl you cannot write to the filesystem, but you can
> read from it.

As of ...

[perrin@localhost freeciv]$ svn log -r 11144
r11144 | per | 2005-10-15 21:13:03 +0200 (Sat, 15 Oct 2005) | 5 lines

Load and read commands now ctrl instead of hack cmdlevel. Scripts files
now run with user's cmdlevel if possible. Under certain conditions, the
file paths that the server may use are restricted using is_restricted().
See PR#13262.

... yes, they are ctrl. They were not before this. Note that this is (a
committed) part of the evil pubserver-in-a-diff patch.

> The /read and /ruleset commands just work.

Only in theory.

> What I mean is that when I start a Freeciv game these days, it sometimes
> claims
> I have info access level, and yet I can control a server.This is just wrong,
> since info means you cannot do anything.The access level system wasn't good
> enough,
> but it was broken instead of fixed.I didn't know how to fix it either, but
> that is what should be done.

Well, I have started a zillion debates on this topic. You can look at them
in RT or the mailing list archives (hint: search for voting). I have tried
_a lot_ of different approaches that almost without exception have been
found wanting. So I am a bit tired of being told it is not good enough.
Show me what is better.

I think you fail to consider the idea that solving the problem according
to yours and Mike's strict design criteras is perhaps practically
impossible in terms of the resources and organization we have at our
disposal.

  - Per