Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) RFC: pubserver-in-a-diff

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) RFC: pubserver-in-a-diff
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:55:57 -0800

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Reinier Post wrote:
> > This patch implements the ./configure switch --enable-pubserver.

I hope you realize that what you have commented here is a very old, and
very different version of the patch in question.

> I appreciate your effort, but all I can think is: UGH.You are implementing
> the wrong way of achieving functionality that is already implemented the
> right way.
> The beauty of pubserver, in my view

I find it hard to characterize pubserver as anything remotely similar to
"beauty". It is such a mess, in my opinion, that it is unsalvagable. We
now have two efforts to rewrite it by three people, who have given up
understanding or fixing pubserver.

> One proof of that was that we didn't even have to make any changes to the
> civserver executable

The result was, however, a crippled civserver, which could not save, load,
change rulesets or run .serv files. I really appreciate what pubserver has
done for us up through the years, but it does have its significant
limitations. It has also proven very hard to maintain for people other
than its authors.

> If the cmdlevel system is no longer good enough to
> capture the functionality required in civserver to support running on
> pubserver, either improve it or take it out, but please don't add a more or
> less randomly designed bit of other code to civserver that replicates its
> functionality while crashing through the original architecture, because it
> cripples and corrupts the cmdlevel system that is already there.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry.

  - Per