Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14343) Data: Egyptian city list

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14343) Data: Egyptian city list
From: "Benedict Adamson" <badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 02:26:44 -0700

miguel@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Also, by putting all the
> definitions in a separate file, we can keep simpler nation rulesets.

Yes and no. The problem with a separate file is that there is more than
one file to update when a nation is modified. Keeping all the
information in  the nation file prevents merge conflicts, and neglected
changes, for the separate file becoming problems.

For the case of a few aliases, there is not much to choose between the
alternatives. But consider the case when all (or almost all) the names
in a nation's city list are not the canonical names (the Romans, for
example). The shared file then has to accurately repeat all (or almost
all) of the names in the nation file.

So, I still think keeping the data in the nations files is better.