Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14365) battlegroups...

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14365) battlegroups...
From: "Andreas Røsdal" <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:43:59 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

>>>* There is no way to drag-and-select units (the selection rectangle
>>>selects only cities!).
>>>

>- How does it work with city selection?  This is what drag-and-select
>currently does - so should we have both units and cities be selected, or
>do we need separate mouse buttons for selecting each?

I think having separate buttons for units and cities and only allowing
selection of one type a time is better, because units and cities have
very different operations which can be applied to them. And with
different colors of the selection-rectangle and mouse cursors indicating
which selection-mode is used.

>- What about non-idle units?  Do fortified/sentried/autosettlered/orders
>units get selected?  Doing so would automatically idle them, which is
>very bad unless it's what you want!
>
>- Do units with low HP get selected?
>
>- What about units with low MP?

I think the rules for selection should be as simple as possible; every
unit in the selection-rectangle is selected. If there are units that you
don't want to select, then don't select them. Instead, use the
unit-selection several times, to add additional units to the current
selection, and avoid units that you don't want.

>- How do we draw things when more than one unit on the same tile is
>selected?

With nice graphics to indicate it...

>How do we let the player know that X units on this tile are
>selected?

Do you really need to know exactly how many units are selected on each
tile?  If you do, then it can be shown with some nice graphics...

>- How does the unit pix on the panel get drawn when more than one unit
>on that tile is in focus?

All the units in focus can be drawn on the panel (and if too many are
selected to fit in the panel, then indicate that with some graphics)

>- What should the unit info text say when multiple units are selected?

It could say something about the selection. For example: "Current
selection: 5 settlers, 3 explorers".

>Obviously not all of these relate exactly to drag-and-select, but I
>kindof wanted to figure out how to make the interface intuitive and
>elegant before adding more features.

The only way to be sure, it to test it :)

Andreas R.