Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ruleset editing (nations)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ruleset editing (nations)
From: Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:13:41 +0200

On 2005-09-16, at 19.12, Christian Knoke wrote:
cities should be placed in order of importance or magnificence (I assume that the code uses this order if terrain information is not to be used.
Is this correct?)

I think cities should be placed both in order of historical and modern
importance, as well as chronological order. Otherwise, all your
nation's famous "magnificent" cities will end up in the limited area
that is your starting position. In reality (and in the game) a city's
importance is decided from it's geographical position, not from early
founding (even though that's important too.) I opt for a stronger focus
on chronological order.

If this information is available..

Exactly. Guidelines are good, but we also have to be flexible about this. The available information is very different between nations.

Daniel