Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13805) Suggested change of default ruler titles

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13805) Suggested change of default ruler titles
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:23:11 -0700

I don't know.  Technically, what distinguishes a
monarchy from a despotism is that the former is
heredetary, and the latter is not.  The problem is
that so many despots try and find ways to be monarchs
-- just look at how many modern middle eastern despots
try to find ways of giving the job to their progeny.

The real distinction, in my view, is that a monarch
got his power from his parents, whereas a despot
siezed it from someone else.

http://mail.yahoo.com