Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13857) Data: Improved Greek nation with integrated

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13857) Data: Improved Greek nation with integrated Hellenes
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 04:08:12 -0700

On 2005-09-16, at 09.47, Christian Knoke wrote:

> So a decision is to be made whether greek is a modern or an ancient
> nation.
> If you put modern cities into an ancient ruleset, it simply will not be
> correct. If you put ancient cities into a modern ruleset, you may (or
> may
> not) end up with a violation of the policy mentioned above, depending
> on the
> cities you choose.

I think that putting modern cities in the bottom of the ruleset,
reflects the development of the particular civilization quite well.
Ancient cities are founded in the beginning of the game and modern at a
much late stage.

> I agree that there are good reasons to have both rulesets. In this
> case, you
> have to find different names for them.

The naming can be done as suggested in earlier posts: "Greek" for the
ancients and "Hellenic" for the modern. I still think this just adds up
to nation bloat, but it's no big deal after all. One thing that's
important, though, is to make sure that the Greeks and Hellenes won't
be randomly selected to the same game! I'm still getting the occasional
British vs. English games...

Daniel