Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13857) Data: Improved Greek nation with integrated

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13857) Data: Improved Greek nation with integrated Hellenes
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:47:04 -0700

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:42:42PM -0700, Daniel Markstedt wrote:

> I realized having a separate nation for the modern Greeks isn't a very
> practical solution. So I integrated modern "Hellenic" leaders and
> cities into the existing Greek nation, including my edits in this
> ticket. It did add up to a very large number of cities, but I think
> future grand Greek empire builders will appreciate the diversity. :-)
>
> This is the result. What do you think?

I think it is good Freeciv policy to have 'modern' nations, which represent
existing states, and others, like 'ancient', 'fantasy' etc. 'Modern' states
rulesets have only cities from their current territory, while the leader
names may go back in history.

So a decision is to be made whether greek is a modern or an ancient nation.
If you put modern cities into an ancient ruleset, it simply will not be
correct. If you put ancient cities into a modern ruleset, you may (or may
not) end up with a violation of the policy mentioned above, depending on the
cities you choose.

You will agree, that leaving out those cities for Greece, will mean you have
a crippled ancient ruleset.

I agree that there are good reasons to have both rulesets. In this case, you
have to find different names for them.

Christian