Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13789) remove game.game_connections

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13789) remove game.game_connections
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:37:00 -0700

> [kauf - Fri Aug 26 21:55:53 2005]:
>
> hmm. I'm not so sure about this. The question is: are there packets that
> the server sends out that should or ought to be privileged just for
> connections that can see part of the map? Or: are there packets that
> _anybody_ able to log on shouldn't see? Take a game where no observers are
> allowed. Is there a point for nonplayers to be restricted from knowing
> about the game?

There are some packets that are sent out that shouldn't be sent to
detached users.  Tile-info, city-info, and unit-info packets are
obviously included but these already have appropriate filters.  For
other packets we just need to add the same types of filters.  One
example is the nuke packet which is currently sent to all players but
should probably only be sent to players who see the tile.  But I don't
think this argues for keeping game_connections around since we actually
have to do the filtering here; we can't just use a different conn list.
 Other packets follow the same concept as any packet a detached conn
shouldn't receive probably shouldn't be received by some attached conns
either.

Really the main problem with this patch is at the client, which is
ill-equipped to handle game packets when game.player_ptr == NULL.  I'm
fairly positive this is why the code is done the way it is.

-jason