Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13806) Art: Package of resized flag

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13806) Art: Package of resized flag
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:09:24 -0700

> [himasaram@xxxxxxxx - Sun Aug 28 19:42:08 2005]:
>
> This is a set of resized flags. They were originally 2:1 or similar,
> but are now 3:2. This way these flags will be much more nice looking
> and recognizable when scaled down in the game.
>
> I have taken great care not to distort the shapes of the flags.

I agree with you now that we should make all flags 3:2.  Even the Swiss
flag can easily be modified to fit this ratio and still be perfectly
recognizable.  With all flags at 3:2 it makes the players and nations
dialogs look a lot better.

However rather than fix all of the SVGs as I suggested earlier I think
we should enforce this in the conversion script.  This patch forces all
flags to be 24x16 (plus 2 pixels of flag border making them 26x18).

I think this obsoletes your new SVG flags.  However some of the flags
may need fixing in the new system, since a 3:2 version may look better
if it's not simply a scaled version of the existing flag.  For instance
the swiss flag might look better if the cross remains a cross and only
the red background is scaled.

Thoughts?

-jason