Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13721) remove send_tile_info_always

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13721) remove send_tile_info_always
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:51:53 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>Anyone have any comment on this?Per?  Marko?
>
> I am not sure I have anything useful to contribute here. I just notice
> that the final fallback in the always function does not exist in the
> send_tile_info function. That seems to be the only difference - but an
> important difference, so how come removing it makes no difference?

The final fallback is (I just now realize) a leftover remnant from when
unknown tiles had to be sent to the client to get it to draw correctly.
  This hack/cheat was removed but this bit of code is left.  This is
probably the reason the function existed in the first place.

It's easy to verify that the callback is never reached.  send_tile_info
is called:

- From send_all_known_tiles, only for detached observers [1] and players
who know the tile.

- From really_unfog_area, really_fog_area, really_show_area, and
really_give_tile_info_from_player_to_player, only for known tiles
(usually update_tile_knowledge is called right before).

So in conclusion I think this change does make no difference.

[1] There is not such thing as a detached observer.

-jason