Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13657) Contribution of Inuit nation

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13657) Contribution of Inuit nation
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 06:01:22 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

>Daniel Markstedt wrote:

>>>You have
>>>
>>>groups=_("Modern"), _("American")
>>>
>>>AFAICS Modern is reserved for the real existing states of today. Can
>>>you
>>>substitute it with Medieval or the like?
>>>
>>>Christian
>>>
>>>--
>>>Christian Knoke            * * *            http://cknoke.de
>>>* * * * * * * * *  Ceterum censeo Microsoft esse dividendum.
>>>

>>I realize this could pose a problem, since the Inuits neither
>>historically had a centralized kingdom/country, nor have an independent
>>state today. But I thought, as Greenland (and Nunavut to some extent)
>>certainly is self-governing and partially independent, that the Inuit
>>could qualify as a "Modern" nation. But to avoid controversy, I will
>>gladly put Medieval there instead.
>>
>>In fact, I'm working on another semi-independent nation: the Sami (or
>>Lapps). Perhaps a new group - "Indigenous" - could be appropriate.. The
>>Sioux, for example, would fit in such a group too.
>>

>The problem isn't with "American" (they are American) it's with
>"Modern".  These are historical nations.  Perhaps a group for historical
>American nations would be good though.  Pre-columbian?
>
>-jason

Noone ever said there were a problem with "American".

Medieval will suffice for the time being. Here's the the modified ruleset.

[nation_inuit]

name=_("Inuit")
plural=_("?plural:Inuits")
groups=_("Medieval"), _("American")
legend=_("The Inuit, or Eskimos, inhabit northern Canada and Greenland. Legend
says that the Great Shaman Qitdlarssuaq lead his people to Thule (Qaanaaq) on
the west coast of Greenland around the year 1000 AD, the current homeland of
the Inuit.")
leader="Qitdlarssuaq", "Jonathan Motzfeldt", "John Amagoalik", "Joseph Idlout"
leader_sex="Male", "Male", "Male", "Male"
flag="greenland"
flag_alt = "-"
city_style = "European"

ruler_titles = { "government",      "male_title",      "female_title"
                 "Despotism",       _("Shaman"),        _("Shaman")
                 "Monarchy",        _("Great Shaman"),  _("Great Shaman")
               }

init_techs=""
init_buildings=""
init_government="Despotism"
init_units=""
wonder="Lighthouse"
government="Democracy"
civilwar_nations = "canadian", "sioux"

; City names are taken from Greenland (a self-governing territory of the
; Danish kingdom) and the Canadian territory of Nunavut, both Inuit-
; dominated political entities.

cities =

  "Nuuk", "Iqaluit" "Ilulissat", "Igloolik", "Narsarsuaq", "Arviat",
  "Qaanaaq", "Kimmirut", "Upernavik", "Sanikiluaq", "Uummannaq",
  "Pangnirtung", "Qeqertarsuaq", "Quikiqtarjuaq", "Kangerlussuaq",
  "Taloyoak", "Asiaat", "Ittoqortoormiut", "Kuglutuk", "Kangaatsiak",
  "Umingmaktok","Maniitsoq", "Nanisivik", "Nanortalik", "Narsaq",
  "Paamiut", "Qaqortorq", "Qasigiannguit", "Sisimiut", "Tasiilaq"