Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13589) Theme support

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13589) Theme support
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:59:51 -0700

Mateusz's patch implements a much requested feature!

Which is even in the roadmap:
http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Coding

Quote:
* Figure out a way to ship a GTK+ theme bolted into the GTK+ client.

Maybe people will finally stop saying Freeciv looks like a spreadsheet.
:-)

This should also solve the problem ChrisK had with a lousy theme which
made some client text unreadable. Ship our own theme, and we can control
how the game will look for everyone.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Jason Short wrote:
> Is there a purpose in having this outside of gui-gtk?  How does it work
> with the crazy FTWL theme system?

From my glance at the patch it doesn't seem to be able to work with
anything but gui-gtk-2.0. I also doubt theme resource files would ever be
reusable. It may be possible to reuse the theme PNGs for other clients,
but I think that is putting the cart before the horse.

> If only GTK uses the theme the option (though not necessarily the code)
> should be restricted to the GTK client.
>
> As for the basic design, I think Vasco (gui-gtk) and Per (gui-ftwl) must
> approve of it.

The code is not according to CodingStyle. It also features lots of
hardcoded constants. But since Mateusz himself basically said this is a
proof of concept demo patch, I assume the final version will not have
these problems.

I also think it would probably be a good idea to try to reuse existing
Freeciv common code for the commit ready version, if possible.

But this should be pursued. It would be a very nice, user visible,
addition to 2.1.

---